Ragi or Nachni or Finger Millet is a very healthy cereal with wide health benefits. It’s consumed all over the country in different forms. It’s very famous mostly in the southern parts of India.
Ragi has innumerable health benefits. Allow me explain some of those.
- Gluten free : Ragi is gluten free. So, people with gluten intolerance can consume it without being worried.
- Cooling : Ragi is said to have a cooling effect on stomach post consumption. So it aids in proper digestion.
- High fibre: Ragi does have a very good fibre content which helps in digestion and relieves constipation.
- Baby Food: As Ragi is said to have a soothing effect on stomach and easily digestable, babies at some places are fed with ragi porridge.
- Aids in weight loss
- Helps in regulating blood sugar level etc
Actually this grain is having innumerable amazing benefits. If I start explaining all those details in this page, I won’t be doing justice to my laddu recipe 🙂
For preparing Ragi Laddu, we will primarily need ragi flour. I have prepared the ragi flour at home from the ragi grains. However store bought ragi flour can also be used.
Watch the video or read on further for the recipe.
For Ragi Flour:
- Ragi grains – 3 cups
Method of Preparation:
- Wash ragi grains thoroughly to remove impurities if any.
- Sun dry those till the grains become absolutely dry.
- Roast the dried ragi grains.
- Let it cool completely.
- Put in a blender and blend till a fine powder.
- Ragi flour is ready. Store it in an airtight container.
For Ragi Laddu:
- Ragi flour – 2 cups
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Chopped almonds – 1/2 cup
- Dates (deseeded) – 1 cup (can be increased if more sweetness is required)
- Desiccated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
Method of Preparation:
- Heat pan add it add ghee to it.
- Add the ragi flour to it and stir well on low flame.
- Stir till ragi and ghee are mixed thoroughly. Ragi will become darker in colour and you can feel a nice aroma.
- Now take the mixture out in a bowl.
- Put the deseeded dated in a blender and blend to thick paste.
- Add the dates paste to ragi mixture along with chopped almonds, desiccated coconut and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Mix everything well using hand.
- Grease palm with little ghee. Take small amount of the prepared mixture in palm and give a round shape in order to prepare the laddus.
- Our healthy ragi laddus are ready.