Kadha is a home remedy for relief from cold and cough. This medicinal drink has lots of flavoures infused in it. There is no right or wrong method of preparation or quantity of ingredients for this. It varies from one household to another.
This recipe is used from generations in our family. One thing I can assure that it definitely is effective in relieving from cold and flu up to some extent. Surprisingly my little one liked it when I gave her this drink for the first time when she had cold sometime back.
Note: This is not any kind of medicine to treat cold and cough. It’s to be used to get little relief from cold. This is not to be used for kids below 18 months old.
Tip: You may choose to crush the ingredients little if preparing for adults. Use whole ingredients if preparing for kids.
- Bay leaves – 2
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom pods – 2
- Cloves – 7 to 8
- Black pepper (whole) – 10 to 12
- Cinnamon stick – around 1 inch
- Finely sliced ginger – around 10 slices
- Water – 2 cups
- Honey – As desired while serving
Method of Preparation:
- I used whole ingredients as I was preparing this for my five year old.
- In a saucepan, take all ingredients except honey.
- Simmer till the water quantity is reduced to half and all the flavours are infused into it.
- Switch off the flame and cover the saucepan. Let it cool down.
- Now strain the drink with the help of a strainer. This kadha can be stored for up to twenty-four hours.
- Take 10 ml of the kadha and add half tea-spoon of honey to it before serving.
- I generally prepare one cup of kadha and use it through out the day with two hours interval.