Sabudana aka Sagoo (Tapioca pearls) are used for preparing different types of dishes in different parts of India. It’s mostly used during any vrat or festival. It can be used in sweet or savory dishes.
Here is a sweet dish that I had prepared recently when my in-laws were around. They liked it a lot. Please read on further for the recipe.
- Sabudana – 1/2 cup
- Roasted sevaiya or vermicelli – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 3 cups
- Sugar – as per taste
- Dry fruits – a handful
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Saffron food colour (optional) – 1 pinch
Method of Preparation:
- Wash sabudana well and soak in half cup of water for minimum of five hours.
- Dry roast dry fruits of your choice and keep aside to cool down. Crush the dry fruits coarsely once those are cooled down.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat milk. Add roasted sevaiya to the milk once it comes to a boil.
- Keep on stirring until sevaiya are half cooked. It will five to six minutes.
- Now add soaked sabudana and mix well. Let it boil for another five minutes with light stirring in between.
- Add sugar, food colour and cardamom powder. Stir well.
- Simmer the kheer to a desired consistency with continuous stirring.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with roasted and crushed dry fruits.
- Tastes good if served chilled.