Here is another dish that complements Pakhala really well. Onion bhurji is prepared with very few ingredients and is really simple to prepare. Not much hassle is involved in preparing this.
Please read on for the recipe.
- Onion – 1 big
- Besan or Chikpea flour – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Peanuts – around 20 grams
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Panch phoran – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder (optional) – to taste
I do not add any red chilli powder or even green chillies as my little one will not be able to have.
Method of Preparation:
- Wash the onion and roughly chop it.
- Add besan and turmeric powder to the chopped onions and toss everything together. Do not mix with hand. Let it sit for around 15 minutes.
- Heat a pan and oil to it
- Add the panch phoran, once the oil is hot enough. Let those splutter.
- Then add curry leaves and peanuts to it. Stir well. Add a pinch of asafoetida.
- After the peanuts are roasted well, add the onion and besan mixture that we have prepared earlier.
- Mix everything well and let it cook until the raw smell from besan is removed. Do not overcook the onions. Sweat those until tender.
- Now switch off the flame and our delicious onion bhurji is ready to be served.