Chole aka chikpeas aka garbanzo beans are said to have high protein and fiber content. Also they are said to be rich in several key nutrients and vitamins required for body. Chikpeas are considered to be one of the staple legumes in the northern parts of India.
Here is my version of preparing chikpeas curry and my family loves it.
- Chikpeas or Chole – 200 gram
- Onion – 1 Medium
- Tomato – 2 small
- Cumin powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp (as per taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Kasuri methi – 2tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Water – 4 cups (2 cups for boiling, 2 cups for gravy)
Method of Preparation:
- Soak chikpeas in water overnight. (Else boil water and put chikpeas in it. Let those boil for five minutes. Switch off flame and cover the container. Chikpeas will be ready to be cooked in one hour.)
- Pressure cook chikpeas in 2 cups of water and little salt. Allow 3-4 whistles. Take the boiled chikpeas in a bowl and keep aside. I generally discard the water in which it’s boiled.
- Cut the onion into four pieces. Slit the tomatoes little bit (in a cross mark fashion) from the skin level. This will help is peeling the skin faster. Do not cut tomatoes into pieces.
- Now boil onion and tomatoes in one cup of water. After 10 minutes switch off the flame. Take out the tomatoes and onion from hot water and let those cool down.
Remove the skin of tomatoes and put it in blender along with boiled onion pieces. Blend and our curry paste is ready.
- Now heat the same pressure cooker in which we boiled chikpeas and add oil to it. Once oil is hot enough, add curry paste to it. Then add ginger-garlic paste and mix well.
- Once we get rid of raw smell of ginger garlic paste, add salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garma masala and kasuri methi to the paste.
- Mix well and saute nicely till oil separates from the paste and it’s ready.
- Add two cups of water and bring to a boil. Add boiled chikpeas. Close the pressure cooker lid and wait for one whistle on high flame.
- Switch off and wait till pressure releases.
- Hot chole ki sabji is ready to be served with white rice or paratha or naan.