Caramel custard is an all time favorite desert amongst my family members.
This eggless version of caramel custard or flan requires no steaming, no baking and is very easy to make. Just assemble the ingredients and set in refrigerator. Taa da.. desert is ready.
Read on further for the recipe.
- Milk – 900 ml
- Fresh cream – 200 ml
- Sugar – 4 tbsp (adjust to taste)
- Sugar (for caramelizing) (I have used mixture of white and brown sugar) – 2 tbsp
- Water – 100 ml
- Agar agar flakes (also known as vegetarian gelatin) – 15 gm
- Vanilla extract – 1 tap
- Yellow food color (optional) – a pinch
Method of Preparation:
- Heat a pan and put sugar on it for caramelizing. Take care not to burn the sugars.
- Once the sugar melts, pour it carefully in the pan in which we are going to set our flan. Keep it aside.
- Now in a pan take agar flakes and water and boil till the flakes are completely dissolved. Switch off flame and keep it aside.
- Now in a mixing bowl put milk and cream. Mix well. Now add sugar, vanilla extract and yellow food color. Mix everything nicely.
- Heat this mixture for two to three boils and simmer for few minutes.
- Switch off flame and add agar solution to this. Mix.
- Pour the solution to the setting pan in which we have poured our caramel earlier.
- Let it cool down and keep in refrigerator for one to two hours for setting.
- To unmold the flan, put the mould upside down on a plate and carefully remove the mould. Before unmolding, the mould pan may be placed in warm water for few minutes to make the process easier.
- Cut the flan to desired shapes and serve chilled. Garnish with choicest nuts.