Peni is like very thin noodles which is prepared from all purpose flour and ghee. This doodh peni is a very famous sweet dish around southern parts of India. During the festival of Diwali, almost all households prepare this and the sale of instant peni surges like anything. Previously peni used to be prepared at home manually. But these days easy availability of peni at sweet shops and super markets has made the life easier and people prefer to buy it from there.
So, with the insistence from one of my colleagues I gave it a try and it turned out to be delicious.
Read on for the recipe below.
- Peni – 1 small cake (broken into small strands)
- Milk – 800 ml
- Sugar – as per taste
- Cashew – 12 to 15 pieces
- Raisins – 10
- Almond – 5 (cut into small pieces)
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar (for caramelization) – 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Once the milk starts boiling, add sugar and the cashews.
- Let it boil for few more minutes and then add cardamom powder.
- Let it simmer for few more minutes.
- In another small pan, take 1 tbsp sugar and put on low flame for caramelizing it.
- Once the sugar melts, carefully add it to the milk mixture. Mix well. This gives a nice light brown color to our pudding.
- Now add the broken strands of peni to milk. Mix well and switch off the flame. Do not boil after adding the peni. It will thicken automatically once it cools down.
- Add the raisins and give a good stir. If raisins are added while milk is on heat, then there is a chance that the milk will be curdled. So we add it after switching off the flame.
- Garnish with cut almond pieces and serve.