Upma is a savoury Indian dish that’s prepared with grains like flattened rice (poha), oats, dalia (broken wheat) etc and mixed vegetables. Different combinations of spices and sauces are also used in different types of upma.
Upma is mostly considered as a breakfast dish. But it can be had as brunch or heavy snack item also.
Here the recipe talks about vermicelli upma. I mostly prepare this in dinner when I am tired and not in a mood to prepare roti and curry. So, I add veggies to vermicelli and my healthy meal is ready.
Read on for the recipe.
- Roasted vermicelli – 2 cups
- Peanuts – 1/2 cup
- Potato (chopped length wise) – 1 big
- Onion (chopped length wise) – 2 medium
- Green chilli (chopped) – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Black salt – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp (as per taste)
- Schezwan Sauce (optional)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 8 to 10
- Water – 3 cups
Any veggie of your choice can be used in this recipe.
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil in a pan and then add cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds splutter, add peanuts and stir.
- Then add curry leaves, chopped green chilli, chopped potatoes and onions.
- Add salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder. Mix well. Cover and let the veggies be done half way through.
- Once the veggies are half boiled, add the roasted vermicelli. Mix well. Add 3 cups of water. Cover and let the vermicelli and veggies be tender.
- Let all the water evaporate.
- Add schezwan sauce (or any sauce of your choice) and mix everything well.
- Switch off flame and sprinkle black salt all over. Stir everything well.
- Hot vermicelli upma is ready to be served.