Meal prep is very essential for any person who manages work and cooking along with other household things. Meal prep not only saves a lot of time during cooking, but also reduces the effort of doing the same thing again and again over the week. Preparing the curry paste beforehand and keeping it ready while cooking makes it easier for me during weekdays.
The curry paste is prepared using onion and tomato. Some may add ginger and garlic to it. But I use ginger and garlic paste separately. So I do not add those to my curry paste. There are two ways to prepare the paste. First one is sauteing the cut veggies with oil and required spices and then grind everything together to a paste. Second method is grinding the cut veggies to a paste and then sauteing it with oil and spices. I have tried both and prefer the second one. With the first method, the curry gravy comes out to be silky and smooth but storing the paste prepared by first method looses its colour and flavour over the period of time and does not stay good for long. On the other hand, paste prepared by second method retains its colour and aroma. Also it remains fresh for longer.
Read on to know how I prepare my curry paste.
- Onion (medium) – 5
- Tomato (medium) – 3
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – 4 to 5 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2.3 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 2 tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1.5 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp (can be adjusted to taste)
- Turmeric – 3 tsp
Method of Preparation:
- Roughly cut onions and tomatoes.
- Put all those pieces in blender and grind to paste.
- Now add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala, little salt to the onion-tomato paste.
- Heat a pan and add oil to it.
- Once is heated, carefully add the mix to it. There are chances of the mix spluttering outside the pan.
- Let it cook for around 20-25 minutes under medium flame with occasional stir in between. Take care not to burn the mix from bottom. Also cover the pan in order to take care of the spice mix splutters.
- Let the moisture evaporate completely from the mix. Once oil starts separate, switch off the flame.
- Let the spice mix cool down completely.
- Now add rest of the salt. This will act as our preservative.
- Our curry paste is ready. Store in a glass container. This can be kept refrigerated for 8-10 days.
- Note: Do take care not to add any salt while preparing curry with this paste as we have already added loads of it to our paste.