Chilli Babycorn is an indo-chinese dish. The recipe is the basic recipe used for preparing any chilli based indo-chinese dish named chilli paneer, chilli soyabean, chilli veggies etc.
So, here babycorn can be replaced with any of the ingredients mentioned above. The original recipe calls for deep frying the Babycorn with a thin coat of corn flour batter. But as I have mentioned in my earlier blogs, I limit usage of corn flour and refined flour in my kitchen. So here I am replacing it with rice flour and shallow frying it instead of deep frying.
- Baby corn (peeled and cut into pieces) – 200 gms
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Green bell pepper or capsicum (small) – 2 (cut into small pieces)
- Onion (medium) – 2 (slit length wise)
- Garlic – 4 cloves (cut into small pieces)
- Salt – as per taste
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp (can be adjusted to taste)
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Soya sauce – 1 tsp
- Tomato sauce – 2 tsp
- Green chilli sauce – 1 tsp (optional)
- Water – 3 to 4 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Make a thick batter of rice flour, salt and half of the chilli powder. Put the Babycorn pieces in the batter and coat those properly.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the coated babycorns till a nice crunchy coating. Remove the pieces and place on kitchen paper so that excess oil will be absorbed by the paper.
- Now to the same oil, add garlic, capsicum and onion pieces. Add rest of the chilli powder, salt. Saute the veggies till they sweat. Keep those crunchy.
- Now add the fried Babycorn pieces and mix. Add black pepper powder, soya sauce, green chilli sauce and tomato sauce. Mix everything well.
- Let it be cooked for few minutes till raw smell of the sauces goes away.
- Now hot chilli babycorn is ready. It’s generally served as a starter.