After numerous failed attempts and wasting ingredients, finally I am able to successfully bake a bread… Yes, home made brown bread 🍞 🙂
I always avoid use of refined flour in my as well as my family’s diet. So I baked this bread with whole wheat flour only.
Read on for the recipe.
- Whole wheat flour – 400 grams
- Instant dry active yeast – 1 tsp
- Lukewarm water – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Water – 300 to 400 ml
- Unsalted Butter (melted) – 1tsp
- Milk – 1 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Place instant active dry yeast in the well and pour lukewarm water over it. Let it sit for one minute.
- Once the yeast starts bubbling, add rest of the water little by little and knead to a soft dough. Knead the dough for nearly 10 minutes on a flat surface. Dust flour lightly if required.
- Apply oil on the dough and give round shaped. Place in a well greased bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Let it sit for around 45 minutes. It will become almost double in size.
- Then knead it again on flat lightly dusted surface for five more minutes. This will release the air from it.
- Again give round shape after kneading and cover with the same damp cloth, on the flat surface.
- Rest it for 15 minutes.
- Then roll it lightly and give a rectangular shape as shown in the image. ( Fold both vertical edges and then roll it from the horizontal side)
- Keep the dough log in bread tin and put the tin inside a plastic bag. Keep it aside for 30 minutes for the dough to proof and rise.
- After 30 minutes the dough would have risen to cover the bread tin. Brush milk on top surface of the dough log.
- Now bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c for 35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, take the tin out and cool on a cooling rack. Brush melted butter on top surface of the bread.
- Slice the bread once it cools down. Enjoy.