Dahi Baingan (fried eggplant in tempered yogurt) is an authentic popular Odiya side dish. You will definitely find this item in almost all functions.
Read on to know the recipe of our beloved Dahi Baingan.
- Eggplant (big) – 1 cut length wise
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Onion (small) – 1 (cut into small pieces)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Panch phoran – 1 tap
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Curry leaves – 8 to 10
- Water – 1 cup
Method of preparation:
- Cut the eggplant length wise and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Toss the eggplant pieces with salt, half of both turmeric and red chilli powder taken.
- Heat 1 and 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the eggplant pieces. Cover and let it cook.
- Take yogurt in a bowl. Add to it salt, coriander powder, rest of the turmeric and red chilli powder. Beat well. Add water as per desired consistency. I used one cup of water.
- Once the eggplant pieces are nicely done, add those to the yogurt mixture.
- For tempering, heat oil and add panch phoran to it. After they splutter, add asafoetida, curry leaves and onion. Sweat the onion and then add 3-4 tbsp water. Let the water boil and switch off the flame.
- Add this tempering to yogurt and eggplant mixture. Stir gently.
- Dahi Baingan is ready to be served.